Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Conclusion Blog for the End of the Year

Honors English has taught me many things this year. I have been taught how to analyze and write poems, write solid essays, and pick apart literary elements from novels/literature. These tools have been constructed from my blogs. Even though that the blog is often annoying and just adds one more thing that I have to add to my schedule, I am really glad that I have done them. After reading over them they have shown me how much I have grown in writing and what my writing style is. Some have just been down right enjoyable. For instance, the Animal Farm project and finding modern day references to Romeo and Juliet.

"You become clever through your mistakes," says a Chinese proverb. Keeping this in mind, I have learned many things from reading over my blogs. One is that I need to spend more time editing before I finalize it as a complete project/paper. If I don't nip this in the butt then I am pretty sure that it will nip me in the butt. Another way I can make my blogs better is by explaining the point I am trying to get across better. Often times I will ramble or lose my focus on what I am trying to say. A time I noticed this a little bit was in the blog where we had to write about fate or dreams based off of the literature in Romeo and Juliet. I rambled on about how I thought that it was silly that you could tell your fate by looking at your birth date's astrology, and I repeated that many times. I didn't follow the prompt very well on my terms.

Well, those are the bad things. But, many good things have come from my blogs. I have improved my writing and thought more about my writing, rather than rushing through it. Also, based off of the questions Mrs. Gilman has posted for blogs, I have developed a higher educated way of thinking and I look at literature differently as a result. When I read literature at the beginning of the year I read the literal meaning of the literature. But, there is much more. There are interpretations and literary elements that the author might hide in his/her piece of writing. I have searched writing for hidden meanings and now writing has more value and means more to me.

My most valuable blog to me this year was the New Year's Resolution Blog. This blog helped me get my worries off of my chest and helped me set a clear goal for the future. I have never taken a New Year's Resolution seriously, and this blog helped me see the importance in it. Overall, these blogs have been very helpful to me.

Dear reader,
This year has had it's ups and downs, and I have seen myself grow in many ways. Many of you have made this possible. Thank you for being such great classmates and critizing my work to make it better. Thank you Mrs. Gilman for teaching me through my ups and downs and not giving up on me when I have become ignorant to your vast array of knowledge. You have made literature more important and enjoyable to me, and I see more things in literature than I have ever seen before (motif, extended metaphor, symbols, etc.). Thank you once again everybody for being patient and helping me learn. I hope you have enjoyed my blogs because I have enjoyed them and learned many thing from them.

Yours Truly, Michael Fairchild
P.S. Can't wait to see you guys next year to tackle sophomore year! Please comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment