Thursday, May 20, 2010

Essay Writing: Challenges and Conguests

I have developed in many ways from the start of the school year. I have learned that I am not a bad writer, and because of that I hav eworked harder and have grown to love writing. Through the skills taught me through the ages yes, I do think I have become a good, and developing, essayist. Literary analysis is to dig deeper into literature so that you get a deeper understanding than what you would get when you just read over the source. It shows you themes, what the author is thinking, life lessons, character traits that could apply to you, and what life was like the time the author wrote the novel. It also provides challenges in that you don't always know what the author is saying at certain times, and you might not catch on to the symbolisms and motifs that may have a crucial part of the overall theme. When you screw those up you are looking for embarassement and/or a bad grade on an essay. The reward is that when you do get what the author is saying you get to look into the author's eyes and see a deeper understanding of the novel.

My shortcomings of essay are as follows: Weak hook, essay shows logical thought and reasoning but lacks original ideas, imprecise or repetitive diction, repetetive use of "this shows" in essay, and my transitions may be rough or lacking sometime. When I write an essay from the beginning these mistakes might take a role in the overall outcome of my grade. But, through rewriting and wonderful editing done by my friends, family members, and myslef, the essay gets polished and takes small steps towards perfaction. So I have my mistakes, but editing will solve thos, hopefully. Overall, I think that I will be noted on my logical thought and reasoning, but my lack for original ideas. Thank you for reading.

4 comments:

  1. ahhh. very nice definition of literary analysis - makes mine look real bad haha.
    sorry to say, but your post has a lot of spelling errors and misuse of commas. :p
    anyways, good job

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lack of original ideas thing is a killer. GRR DARN THE NEAD TO BE ORIGINAL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Original ideas are always hard to get into your essay. Oh, and Im sure you're a good writer. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have a hard time with transition sentences and still have not figured out how to fix them.

    ReplyDelete