Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Theme and Motif: Fate

According to my birth date's astrology, I am a very unsocial but very wise person. It also says I am very irrirtable to live with because of my "higher standard of expectation," and it makes me grouchy. Then it goes on saying that I am a peaceful and affectionate soul. I am also charming and refined. I was born in The Chinese Year of the Dog. Looking at this information, if you want to call it that, I call it garbage. Some things I agree with, like my dislike of confusion, but isn't that everybody? I disagree with these thing because sometimes I think they make traits that are compatible with almost anybody. For example: not liking confusion.

In the same way, I think that in Romeo and Juliet when they use the stars to determine their fate, it is taking it a step too far. I think that having a bad feeling about something, like the calm before the storm, is all right, but not looking up to the heavans and seeing something (or by analyzing your birth date). Similarly, in act three when Juliet says that the fate is cast in the stars, so to speak, I think it's kind of strange. Overall, I don't agree that your fate is "cast in the stars", but, like most people, I find it entertaining to see the information behind the astrology of your birth date. I think in Romeo and Juliet they use it as direct meaning to their fate, but I think it also gives them something to vent on, or blame, when something bad does actually happen.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the astrology. Theres no way that the month a person is born determines their personality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Romeo and Juliet tend to blame their problems on fate, I noticed that too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah how can a hot mass of gas determine your life?

    ReplyDelete